Thanks to H! at http://fungirlslivebetter.wordpress.com/ for nominating Madhatters for the “Versatile Blogger Award”
The conditions of accepting the award are that the recipient reveal 7 facts about themselves. This presents a certain difficulty since madhatters is a group blog with several authors contributing posts as and when they have the time and inclination to do so, but as the main author on the site I will reveal some details about myself . . .
1. I am ambidextrous – I can write equally undecipherable text with either hand
2. I love dogs. My wife did too. – her only rule (and one she insisted upon whilst alive) being no dogs allowed on the furniture. Since the cancer took her though . . .
3. I can happily stand in front of 200-300 people and entertain them with a comic after-dinner speech but am painfully shy and uncomfortable if speaking to a handful of people
4. I have been married twice
5. I emigrated to Canada in my late 20s and lived there for a few years – My first wife was Canadian – before returning to Scotland
6. I was once briefly ‘arrested’ – accused of trying to enter the USA illegally
Flying home to Calgary from Mexico, I had to change planes at Los Angeles, and the customs/immigration official didn’t know his arse from his elbow, insisting I needed a visa to enter the USA.
Heated words were exchanged as I flashed my Canadian Landed Immigrant Status paperwork at him and tried to explain that Canadian citizens and landed Immigrants did not need a visa to enter the USA. Eventually, a more senior official appeared who confirmed I did not need a visa and I was ‘released’ to continue my journey home. To save face, though, security officers ‘accompanied’ me from one terminal to another and ‘escorted’ me on to my connecting flight
7. I have never eaten horse meat !
The recipient of the award is required to name 5 other bloggers that they would recommend to others
My recommendations are . . . in no particular order